Monday, February 25, 2008

Our first Shamal of the year



We had our first big sandstorm, caused by the shamal winds, which are the strong northwesterly winds that tend to blow this time of year. The winds started Tuesday afternoon, and continued until Saturday. Sunday was the first good day without the crazy winds. The average wind speed was 30 mph with gusts in the 40 mph range. As you can imagine, the dust and sand was everywhere!! I had it in my hair, clothes, mouth, nose, etc. I took the pictures of the West Bay skyline from road where Adam's school is located. The other pictures were taken at the Corniche. In both pictures, you can barely see the buildings, when normally they are clear as day. You might notice the black speck on the picture taken on the Corniche - that is a spec of sand that actually got INSIDE my camera when I was taking the other pictures.

No comments: