Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Day at Souq Waqif

Today I went to Souq Waqif, the traditional-styled open market in Doha.  My friend Gill and I decided to go down there since it was a nice day to be outdoors (for a change).  Although I have been many times, I always either forget to bring my camera or forget to take pictures when I bring it.  This time, I remembered both!  The souq is a maze of shops, selling items like bulk spices, fabric, kitchenware, art, toys, carpets, antiques, and souvenirs.  We wandered around and checked out the shops, while I acted like a tourist and took a bunch of pictures.

This is the front of the woodcarver's shop, where they hand-carve little boats and other items

Sheesha pipes for sale!

Spices

Bedouin carpets

A look down the main drag

One of the many souvenir shops

This little shop specializes in kitchenware

 A sweet-tooth's dream!

The guys with the wheelbarrows will follow you around in hopes that you will hire them to lug all of your purchases

 I didn't buy anything, but my friend Gill found some toys for her children.  

No comments: